Have a Question?Contact Us
Cabot's fumed silica is sought by global customers who require high-performance in composite materials for a number of applications, including: residential and commercial construction (shower stalls, sinks, synthetic marble, building panels); transportation; marine; chemical storage; pipelines, and other applications.
Using fumed silica
CAB-O-SIL® fumed silica is used in laminating and gelcoat applications, and provides proper rheological control, while achieving optimum shear thinning and enhancing the end-use application. Fumed silica is used in many resin types, including unsaturated polyesters, vinyl esters and epoxies.
- In unsaturated polyester resin-based composites, our untreated fumed silica provides rheological control in both laminating and gelcoat applications.
- For vinyl ester resin-based composites, treated grades provide proper rheological control and stability.
- For epoxy resin-based composites, treated grades are recommended.
What is fumed silica?
Fumed silica is an extremely small particle with enormous surface area, high purity, and a tendency to form chains in the chemical manufacturing process. Particles are formed by injecting chlorosilanes, such as silicon tetrachloride, into a flame of hydrogen and air. The ensuring reaction produces fumed silica and hydrogen chloride.
Fumed silica has two primary functions. Reinforcement increases the strength of various materials, allowing them to be used in a wider number of applications in accordance with the user's exact requirements. Rheology control allows customers to tailor the viscosity of a system to their own requirements.
Customer Audit Days - Rheinfelden
- CAB-O-SIL® ULTRABOND™ 4740
- CAB-O-SIL® TS-720 Fumed Silica in Epoxy Adhesives
- CAB-O-SIL Fumed Silica in Unsaturated Polyester Resin
- CAB-O-SIL TS 622: treated fumed silica for silicone sealants
Product Data SheetFind more Downloads
- CAB-O-SIL® TS-720 MSDS: polski - Europe
- CAB-O-SIL® TS-720 MSDS: English - China GHS
- CAB-O-SIL® TS-720 MSDS: 中文 - China GHS
- CAB-O-SIL® TS-720 MSDS: slovenski - Europe
- CAB-O-SIL® TS-720 MSDS: español - North America