Cabot's Security Materials produces covert taggants for the anti-counterfeiting industry. Covert taggants are invisible markers that are added to products to distinguish genuine articles from counterfeits or diverted goods. In the field, customer-specific detectors are used to identify the taggants in the approved products. Detectors are specifically designed for each marker or family of markers (like a lock and key). Read our Knowledge Base for specific definitions.
Our unique covert taggants are tailored to fit customer's needs by using a proprietary spray conversion process, in combination with excellent process control, both of which produce highly uniform materials. Ultimately, this translates to more unique taggants and more unique markers for a given authentication method. While Cabot does not design or manufacture detectors, we can provide technical expertise to support the customer's detector development efforts.
Cabot manufactures taggants in perimeter-controlled facilities where materials are strictly controlled from raw materials to finished goods. Customer information and intellectual property are protected at all times.
In addition, our experienced R&D team works closely with you to understand your specific requirements and constraints. Our research facilities are state-of-the-art and can analyze a wide array of physical and chemical material properties including: particle size distribution, morphology, crystal structure, elemental composition and spectral response. Our research scientists are experts in particle synthesis and taggant design. The wide array of analytical tools, coupled with materials expertise, enables Cabot to respond quickly to your needs and speed time to market. We focus on solutions that are supported by strong statistical data and customer feedback.
Cabot's security materials and processes have several distinct properties that make them the ideal solution for security applications. These properties include:
- Homogeneity: Cabot's proprietary process mixes elements at the atomic scale better than traditional processes. The result is a product that is homogeneous from particle to particle and reproducible from lot to lot.
- Reproducibility: The high degree of particle/lot uniformity (combined with Cabot's drive for excellence in process control) means:
- Less variance in product detection/discrimination and greater confidence in product identification
- Ability to create a larger number of unique products for a given composition range
- Durability: Product performance is unaffected by common environments (e.g. UV, humidity, chemical).
- Spherical Particles: Cabot's process yields spherical particles that enable higher solids loadings at lower viscosities.
- Multiple Particle Size Ranges: Cabot has several manufacturing platforms, each with a unique particle size distribution. Particles can be produced with d50 ranging from 100's of nm to ~ 10 microns, depending on your needs.