Sustainability is an important measure of Cabot's continued success. We are proud of the significant progress that we have made toward our sustainability goals. Our 2012/2013 Sustainability Report "Advancing" summarizes our progress and commitment in safety, environmental impacts and community outreach.
The report was issued in conformance with the Global Reporting Initiative's™ (GRI) comprehensive Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting Framework. View the full GRI Index.
Highlights from our latest sustainability report include the following:
- Portfolio management:In 2012, Cabot completed the acquisition of Norit, a leading producer of activated carbon. Now referred to as Cabot's Purification Solutions Segment, the acquisition enhanced our participation in environmental and purification solutions markets.
- Employee safety: We have worked hard to reduce our recordable incident number. In 2012, we reduced our Total Recordable Incident Rate by 35% compared to 2011.
- Environmental performance: Since 2005, Cabot invested $187 million in energy efficiency projects. In addition, our masterbatch manufacturing facilities experienced a 27% reduction in energy intensity since 2005, the greatest overall reduction of all Cabot businesses.
- Innovation: In early 2013, Cabot established a new plastics applications development laboratory in Shanghai, China that contains the latest technologies and testing equipment to provide global, best-in-class technical service. With this lab, Cabot can better meet the unique requirements of its Asia-based customers across a range of critical applications.
- Training and development: The Developing Leaders program was established to provide our leaders with the knowledge and skills necessary to be effective in their roles. Our goal of training at least 75% of our people leaders was exceeded, with training completed for 84% of our people leaders.
- Community outreach: From calendar year 2012 to June 2013, the Cabot Foundation and our local businesses donated or pledged a combined $2.4 million in direct and in-kind support of a wide range of programs aimed to contribute to community success, improve science and technology literacy and support human services programs.
Graphene LIVE! 2013
Tire Tech 2014
Customer Audit Days - Rheinfelden
Sustainability is an important measure of Cabot's continued success. Our 2012/2013 report summarizes our progress and commitment to improvements in safety, our environmental impact and community outreach.Learn more